How do you wash curtains at home?
Updated: Sep 14, 2019
Curtains are the lungs of the house. They add not only to the house décor but also provide light to a room. Cleaning them is easy once you know how! Cleaning them at home is not a herculean task. Here’s is the reply to all your quizzing such as how often should I clean curtains? How do I protect delicate sheers? Can I use a washing machine for cleaning curtains? Do I need to send it to curtain dry cleaning service? For washing curtains at home you will require :
Washing machine/hand washing supplies
Before you take a call on the same, here are easy tips on curtain cleaning at home.
1. Regular maintenance by vacuuming of curtains if becomes a routine certainly will be a change maker in maintaining clean curtains. You may first, remove all hooks and curtain weights and loosen the heading tape. Letting down the hem if the fabric is likely to shrink helps.
Oneclick tip: Use the soft brush attachment to remove dust.
2. If the curtains are delicate, made up of material too tender to handle, oneclickclean certainly advices to avail a good curtain dry cleaning service to reduce the risk of shrinking.
3. Aromas coming from kitchen, smoke from puffing cigarettes can cause discolouration and visible stains are noticeable on curtains, if this is the case curtains should be steam cleaned.
Oneclick tip: Too heavy and large curtains are recommended to be cleaned through curtain dry cleaning service as the professionals in curtain dry cleaning services are reliable and gentle on upholstery too.
4. Pre soaking curtains in cold water with dissolved detergent is beneficial for washing curtains. Just do not rub or wring the curtains.
5. Always set the machine on delicate program if using it.
6. You should iron the curtains while still damp. Work lengthways, on the wrong side, stretching the fabric gently to stop the seams puckering. Hang the curtains while slightly damp so they drop to the right length.
7. Always dust and clean curtain tracks, windows and sills before putting the curtains back.
Oneclick top tip : Curtains may have a label that reads ‘dry clean only’. We urge you to call experts in curtain dry cleaning services and never wash them on your own as it may result in colour bleed or even pilling on the fabric surface.